View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
As Dan Case will back me up on this the original scoops were hand fabricated from aluminum. Being that they were hand fabricated there was slight differences in all of the scoops and also differences in right to left sides. There were definetly differences in the transition to fiberglass scoops in right to left sides. There were also rear brake scoops that also started out being fabricated from aluminum and transitioned to fiberglass at some point. The rear scoops are very different side to side.

+1 Race parts hand fabricated as required to a general specification to fit hand fabricated coachwork. That general specification comment is real important. Most Shelby American race part drawings were more like guidelines than specifications. Parts produced had to be similar to what was submitted to the sanctioning bodies but they didn't have to be identical. Even if you had "factory" drawings it would be remarkable that any one new fabrication decades later was exactly like any one "original" piece or parts made for one car would fit another exactly the same. That was day one fresh; add in racing wear and tear and crashes and almost anything became possible.

Regarding “fiberglass” pieces. Shelby American Inc. sold fiberglass general purpose brake air duct scoop sets retail. This was just one example of what was sold to customers was significantly different than what Shelby’s team car’s used. That practice, i.e. works team using one thing while selling something similar but different to people that were likely to race against them, started by the time the first customer race car was sold.

Last edited by Dan Case; 07-03-2017 at 04:56 PM..