View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
And is that really an early FJ40? The door detail looks too heavy....but I'm no expert...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilibit View Post
I think it is a 66 J40.
I agree that it's definitely a 1960-1975 FJ40 behind them... I could not pin down any detail from the FJ in the photo that would zero in on a specific model year for the FJ...

HOWEVER- This part of the photo does offer some more concrete evidence regarding when the photo had to have been taken:

That little gray-blue car behind them is a third-generation Toyota Corona, which means the picture HAD to be taken later than September, 1964 (which is when the Gen3 Corona first came out as a 1965 model, according to Wikipedia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...2.80.931970.29

So, the Toyota Corona dates this photo to no absolutely no earlier than late-1964.

but according to SAAC, Payne's first event in CSX2430 was the Greenwood USRRC in July 1964, and this photo HAD to be taken later than that (the men are wearing cool weather attire, and there are no leaves on the trees in the background, so it wasn't summer when this pic was taken...

I also found some other information which would indicate that this car is not CSX2430 - According to SAAC (and Hemminngs), CSX2430 was delivered to Payne (by SAI) in early summer 1964, with it's front fenders already flared, chin scoop, and in red paint.

So, the Toyota provides evidence that the pic was snapped in late 64 (or later), and the car is definitely not CSX2430...

The late-64 (or later) Toyota also indicates that the car in the photo couldn't have been CSX2009, either. According to SAAC, CSX2009 was wearing a fully welded in roll cage when Payne passed it along to Bob Johnson in spring of 1964...

Looking for the CSX # of the first Payne cobra....

So, the CSX number of this dark green car is still a mystery (to me, at least ) , but that stupid little blue car pretty much establishes that it couldn't have been either one of the 2 most notable Cobras owned and raced by Tom Payne... ? ?

Last edited by moore_rb; 07-09-2017 at 10:51 AM..