View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

I am pretty sure the cars come from S.A. with the windshields.. The issue is they really don't stock much in Boynton Beach.

A while back it was exhaust pipes, Boynton Beach couldn't get anyone exhaust pipes for months, yet they were selling new cars with them as the cars come from S.A. with them.

Before that it was the header to exhaust pipe gasket that was out of stock for months.

Reg Dodd and Tony Martin own Backdraft. Reg lives in Miami and runs the USA operations and Tony lives in S.A. and runs the factory.

This is going to be long….

I race my car and destroy quite a few parts and am always in need of parts and here is my personal opinion of three of the dealers.

Radical Roadsters, Houston, Texas.
My car was sold by James Yale. I obviously have been to his shop, James is small dealer and does his best to help anyone, BDR owner, Factory Five owner, etc, etc.. But being as he has a small shop his knowledge is a little limited just because he doesn't have the volume to have experienced all the things that can break on these cars. I have called James from the track on the weekend, he answers his cell and does his absolute best to help. In 2015, I broke both motor mounts while racing in Scottsdale, AZ and called James on his cell and he went to his shop on a Sunday to pack up a pair of motor mounts and overnighted them to me so it would be at my house in Fort Worth when I got there so I could get car fixed and race ready for a race that coming weekend in Texas. James is a total stand up guy.

Vintage Motorsports, North Haven, Connecticut.
I have never visited this shop. Jay (Cashburn) is the face of this shop which he operates with his Brother Brian. This is the premier BDR shop, they can and will modify the cars to whatever their customers desire and the modifications always look factory…. I have called Jay from the track on weekends and he answers his cell and does his absolute best along with Brian to get me the information I needed. In 2017, I broke a half shaft on my car while racing in Scottsdale, AZ on a Friday. I called Miami at 1:00pm Eastern time and said I snapped a half shaft and needed one sent to Fort Worth pronto so I could make next race the following weekend. I was told we got NADA….. So I called Jay, I told him I snapped a half shaft and Miami had none in stock… Jay said they had no spare half shafts…… I said I would call James at Radical Roadsters…. James had Nada… So I emailed Jay and said I was screwed and asked what shop he has custom half shafts made for the HP monsters he builds for some people…. He replied back asking which diff to half shaft spacer I had on my car.. I replied and then he replied back saying… “We are overnighting you a half shaft"…. I never asked if one fell out of the sky or if Brian pulled one off one of the unsold cars in their shop. All I know is I made the race that coming weekend. Jay and Brian are the GOLD STANDARD…. I did not buy my car from them, I really don’t spend much $$ with them, but they have provided me with tons of data and help over the years.

Backdraft World Wide Headquarters, Boynton Beach, Florida.
I have visited this shop. Reg has always been nice to me, sometimes I get a quick response to my emails, sometimes I get crickets from him. Brian runs the parts area, Brian is nice and try to help, but Boynton stocks almost NOTHING. I ordered a set of their race struts with camber plates from them… Their website showed IN STOCK. Brian called me after I placed my order and said all the parts to make them were in stock and they had to be send to machine shop for a little machine work. It took 2 months to receive them and since I bought my set their website has shown they are out of stock for both camber plates and the race struts. They have been out of stock for both items for almost 3 years. People have bought cars from Boynton and had the car shipped to them and the car would not start..etc..etc… I would not buy a car from Boynton unless I lived close enough to their shop to bring it to them when things go wrong with the car.

Kevin.....