View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     
Default Starting to wrap things up

It's starting to get close to wrapping things up. Took some time off to race my MGB at a vintage SCCA event at Watkins Glen Saturday and Sunday. First time on the track this year and it felt pretty good. Went a little cautious the first time trial, but still came in first in my group and ahead of some cars in the group ahead of me (we are a small group, had 20 cars on the track, with everything from Bugeye Sprites to Jaguar XKE's, Mustangs and Corvettes) as we run as a mixed group. Pushed the limits on the next time trial and beat my best time at the Glen. Finished first again. That MGB finished in front of all four cylinder cars, even those with larger engines and I even passed a TR8! Unfortunately at the end of that last trial my oil pressure started to drop a little, so I pulled off the track. Checked and there was a little oil coming out of the oil fill cap on the valve cover. Lost about 1/2 quart, but when I topped off the engine the oil pressure came back. Tried it the next morning and oil pressure was good, drove up to the false grid for the first race and when I turned the engine off there was a clunk and it seized. Racing was done. will take a look at it after I am done with the cobra.

Now onto the Cobra. Have been working on the transmission mount, as the stock mount is for a Tremec and the Top loader has a different mounting point. Finally got the adaptor completed and tested it out and it fits!

The poly mount was pretty thick, so I had to drop the bracket about 1 1/2". Will tighten everything up tomorrow, want to sleep on it before fully tightening everything. The tail seems to line up with the differential and sits about an inch higher. They both appear to be in the same plane.

Also worked on installing the alternator, had to change brackets and move the alternator to a high position from the original low position due to the forward tubes in the engine compartment, and to allow for the hose from the bottom of the Harrison tank to access the water pump.

Back to work tomorrow.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 07-14-2017 at 04:20 AM..