View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427 FE
Not Ranked     

Well I spent a lot of time with my builder yesterday. Kind of nice to have a local shop (within 100 miles) doing the work. I even got to touch my 427 Pond block .... Woo Hoo
He has been going through his check list on the block and making tweaks here and there.
We have now changed the intake to a Edelbrock Performer RPM as opposed to the Performer 390 that was on the 428. We are adding a windage tray. Going with hydraulic lifters. The lifter choice was more to do with the new motor oils than performance. Still working out the cam spec and my builder will be talking directly with Brent today. It will be a custom grind and not off the rack. It needs good vacuum for the brakes.

I do want to keep lift under 600 since that is what Edelbrock says is max for the head/valve/spring. I have read so many posts here and it seems most failures come from valve train or intake gasket. I saw some horrific crank damage here too, but hopefully the scat crank has me past that.
Bud and I discussed what parts would be best if we wanted the most trouble free miles even if it cost HP.
We are studding the head and (your gonna hate this) using reworked and ceramic coated stock rockers. The heads will get some cleaning up, but not going overboard with the polishing.

Understand that I have owned my cobra since 2005 with the 428. Supposedly 400 HP and 500 LB FT. I knew what that did for how I drove and while I got used to the power I never felt a Prius was gonna leave me behind. I believe this will make a very good reliable car.