View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

The saga goes on. two weeks and the machinist didn't get any result except bending his pin punch. I told him that I believed that the broken tip was only in the shaft. He could hold the drive gear and drive the shaft out of the gear. That worked for him but, my mistake , the drive gear and shaft pin hole will only align one way. My Mallory distributer was drilled with a slightly of center hole and angled downward . Will not align any other way. He tried and I rescued the distributor from him with the roll pin partially installed with the exposed end of the roll pin all mushroomed and fractured. The pin was inner end was against the other inside wall of the drive gear ( hole not there. I had to cut the mushroomed exposed portion of the pin off with a cut off wheel on my Dremmel. Then I used various carbide burs to enlarge the pin center and hollow the pin out beyond the depth of the drive gear side wall. I also used a set of optical magnifiers. I was able to finally weaken the pin to a point where I could again drive the shaft through the gear. With the gear removed now the last of the old pin can be removed. I turned the gear around on the shaft . All the holes now align and a new pin was installed. Reinstalling the distributor, I didn't have any pops or backfires. The timing light was working. The electric fuel pump was running but no fuel pressure in pressure regulator indicator gauge. I added a five gallon jug of gasoline I had. Now the pump is making a different sound. OH CRAP. I WAS OUT OF GAS. I had jumped to the wrong conclusion. I installed a new set of NGK spark plugs. Now running great again.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 07-27-2017 at 10:54 AM..