View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     
Default CB Performance black box

I installed the CB Performance black box in series with my MSD. So far, I've been impressed. The BB takes the input from my MSD distributor as a signal, then will either drive the coil directly, or trigger the MSD box thru it's white wire "points" trigger. Once installed, you have a variable timing map that is based on RPM and manifold vacuum.

I created an excel file and basically recreated a map that mimics the centrifugal advance based on RPM, then created a vacuum advance map that goes away as vacuum decreases, then combined the two.

Since all the cells are user configurable, I set timing under 400 RPM to be at 10° to make it easier on the starter. I was able to advance the timing of the RPMs drop below desired idle to help nudge it back up. I was able to increase idle timing to get the car to idle smoother and cooler, but dropped the off idle timing as power rolled in but increased again as RPMs rose.* I was also able to increase the timing on the low rpm/low vacuum situation that occurs when it is cold so I don't have to sit there and feather the pedal as it warms up.

I also installed it with two quick disconnects so if either the BB or the 6AL goes out, I switch two connectors and can run on either one separate from the other.

A couple of down sides.

1. It uses a serial connector, not a USB, so if you don't have a dinosaur laptop, you have to buy a USB to serial converter.

2. The software looks and feels ancient - as far as programming/ease of use goes. We're talking 1990's GUI here.* You cannot copy/paste from excel, so you have to manually enter every cell's data. The software will not work off-line so you can't download the map then go inside and work on changes, then reconnect and send the changes back later.

3. Lastly, when I got the box, it had a notice saying that "all sales are final, no returns." This was not mentioned when I bought the thing. I guess if one was dysfunctional, they would replace it, but no returns.

Overall, it seems this combined with my 6AL is similar to MSD's 6530 box that has a built in adjustable timing table. The benefit of the separate box is that if one dies, I can still run. If the 6530 box goes, you get to call a tow truck.

Last edited by Texasdoc; 07-29-2017 at 11:23 AM..