View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwaypj View Post
Cycle55......Thx for the tip of using CB vs Fuse....I've learned that building Custom Bikes....Sweet ride and I like those valve covers on your BBF ...cool!
Fuses blow too easily on a quick peak load like that when starting up the fans.
Slow-blow fuses could be used, but why bother when circuit breakers are widely available and cheap.

I'm only running a pair of pullers right now, but giving thought to adding a pair of pushers - more for show than anything else. Regardless, when the relay for my pullers failed on me I saw some pretty high temperatures before I was able to get some open road and make it home. I resolved to prevent that from happening if at all possible.

In tearing things apart I discovered there was no real protection on the circuit, so I added a 40 amp circuit breaker. I also installed not one, but two 40 amp relays in parallel - the theory being they share the load (reducing the probability of failure) but, if one did fail, the other was there as redundant backup to keep things running. Either relay is sufficient, but having them both means it's HIGHLY unlikely to ever happen again.