Thread: Shed build #777
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

The second half of the slab went down last weekend. The same group of champions pitched in, with the addition of my little nephew as the foreman to keep things running smoothly.

I had originally run the plastic on the ground and up the side of the boxing, but with the first slab taking until well into the night to harden up I decided to remove the vertical plastic in the hopes that any excess water could bleed off easier. It probably made little difference, but it definitely made for a neater side to the slab without the risk of the plastic folding and getting stuck in the slab edging.

The first truck arrived at 6:30am (2.5hrs earlier than the weekend before), and the slab was finished at 4:00pm (5.5hrs earlier than the weekend before). I'd call that a win!

Bushfire over the hill from me in the background. Dad being a smartie said the first shed burnout is supposed to be from a car...

It's at this point that I realised how much concrete we would need for this slab. The pad had been levelled with a bobcat, but there was still a slight fall towards the downhill side. I decided to fill that with concrete partly because it would make the slab thicker at what I'd call the most exposed corner, and also because that's where the hoist will go. The little section here used 3 cubic metres...

If an 8 wheeler concrete truck isn't too tall for the shed, I think I'll be able to fit any height vehicle in here just fine.

Site foreman showing the oldies how it's done.