View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA; my other toy is a scratch-build McLaren CanAm replicar, with a twin-turbo 800 HP small block Chev
Not Ranked     

Not Smith's here..... the prior owner/builder installed AutoMeter gauges, which I plan on correcting over time.

I've read the forum strings regarding the 10v regulator on the Smiths gauges, but I believe I'm looking at a different fuel gauge issue.

1. Without applied power (12v) my fuel gauge reads zero (no deflection), as it should.

2. When I start and run the car, the gauge needle goes to about 1/4 full, and remains there--regardless of the amount of fuel I actually have in the tank.

3. One of the reasons I want to pull the dash panel (besides to tidy up the wiring) is to put the fuel tank gauge on the test bench, with an adjustable resistor, and check the gauge swing. (That should also confirm the resistance of the gauge, as well as its functionality.)

4. If the gauge responds to the resistance check, then I'm looking at an original wiring error--or a "mismatch" of resistance ranges between the sender and the gauge--or a stuck sender..... In any case, if I get to this point I'm probably looking at emptying and dropping the gas tank to get to the sender. (I doubt if my ERA has an access panel lurking under the carpet in the Cobra's trunk. I'm not looking forward to dropping the tank, if it comes to that.....

5. Since the gauge isn't responsive to ANY change in the fuel level in the tank, I'm kinda thinking I have a bad sender, or one with a stuck/dead float on it.

Of course, I'm open to other "less-onerous" suggestions for fixing this problem. Again, dropping a gas tank is not typically on my "fun things to do" list....... Any ideas out there?

(Not to confuse anyone, but I'm attaching a pic of my "other project" that's waiting in the wings--loosely styled after a McLaren CanAm Mk8, albeit with a twin-turbocharged 800 HP small block Chev in it.)
Attached Images