Thread: Tire Balancing
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

My F1 Supercar tires were awesome in the "no shimmy" category but aren't nearly as sticky as these Nitto's.. Yours are not made anymore and the only choices I have are Nitto's, Kuhmo's, or Mickey Thompson unless I want a DOT Drag Radial.

On a happy note, I took the car to Linville Tire, a speciality front shop in Sacramento and I found "that guy" I was looking for. He put both the fronts on the balancer and immediately stated, "these are both out of round", then showed me. As I mentioned I measured .083 OOR on the worst but the other three were right around .075. He said this is unacceptable from Nitto. Additionally, one of the fronts has 4.4oz. of weights on one side and 1 oz. on the counter balance side.....That same tire on his machine shows the tire was off by 4oz on one side and 2 oz on the other with the previous weights still on the tire. He could only guess that the tire would need just an oz. or so to be in balance if the old weights were stripped off and they were re-balanced.

The long and short is I talked to my dealer and he agreed to give me my money back and I am buying the new ones from Linville. He said they have sold hundreds if not more of these Nitto 555G2's and never seen them this out of round. He checked the rim for runout and said no question it's the tires.

I have an apt for Monday for four new ones with what they say is a guaranteed balance and true tires. I hope he's right. He does sound like the kind of guy we all look for that knows more than how to push a button. Also he didn't try to sell me new tires but told me to go back and have my old dealer swap them out....problem is I'M ABSOLUTLY SURE his balancer is tweaked and the operator had no idea what exactly the machine had 7 settings for. He always just used setting number 1. Even if I did just swap them I'd have to pay someone else to balance them.

Monday at noon I'll know either way.

Last edited by wanab5150; 08-05-2017 at 08:30 PM..