View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
I reckon I'd be looking for a Holden cross 8 gearbox and front diff. Should be able to adapt it to the Audi motor. Cross 8 has a transfer case on the back and a shaft going forward.
The problem is Mike that you have to lift the motor far enough to clear the drive shaft, especially a wide engine such as the Audi V8, thereby loosing the centre of gravity and bonnet clearance etc...
This has always been the problem for this type of car, however the real benefit that the Audi transaxle has over the Cross 8 is gearbox is the Torson diff that transfers power front to rear much like a Tru-Trac diff from wheel to wheel, so when you load one of these Torson diffs up it gives you 66% rear drive and 34% front, and under normal driving 50/50, then under heavy deceleration it transfers up to 80% drive to the front wheels, hence why I am looking to keep the Audi system, including ESC, ABS and traction control + body control modules etc..

Cheers

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net