Thread: Tire Balancing
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

Me and my OCD.

After driving about 50 more miles on different road conditions the ugly vibration raised it's ugly head worse than after the 8th wheel balance. As I mentioned the dealer blamed the remaining vibration on the out of round wheels which in my opinion was minor as you can see as you watch the wheels spin on the tire balancer.

Regardless I decided the vibration was too much and took the wheels to Wheel Pro in Sacramento for truing or straightening. $125 a wheel is the price. I had the tires removed and took them to Wheel pro and had them spin them up with a dial indicator so I could see how bad they were...Surprise...the worst wheel was a rear with .035 runout which will be brought to tolerance of less than .020 (pretty easy as per the wheel guy). The worst of the other 3 wheels was .017. As he said ..."I'd like to take your money but these 3 are well within spec and no way can the .017 be felt".

I called the dealer regarding the findings and he was, lets say, reluctant to believe me. I had him call Wheel Pro and a few minutes later he called me back and recommended trying a set of Micky Thompson Street Comps. he already has rears but the fronts are coming from ??????.

I am really tired of this back-and-forth to the tire shop thing. I sure hope it was just that the Nitto's didn't like my car. While waiting until next Monday for the tires to arrive I used the dial indicator on the hub backing plate and outside measurement of the studs. All were within .003 at the flange face and .005 at the stud. I measured them before with a "herkey jerkey" dial indicator so I bought a new nice new smooth one.

I'm thinking about going to the doctor and getting some Zanax for the next week until I get them dialed in!!!!!

Last edited by wanab5150; 08-15-2017 at 07:48 PM..