Thread: Tire Balancing
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

For you two asking which shop I used it was, Les Schwab 5610 pacific St. Rocklin, Ca.......916-315-8615.

I met Brandon Rodriguez who volunteered to ride with me the also allowed me to drive the car into the shop and remove the wheels after he jacked it up for me. The Schwab near Costco wouldn't allow me to bring the car in the shop at all. I had to take the wheels off at home and truck them there for balancing.

He did the front tires first and had me test drive it to make sure there was an improvement so when doing the rears we could see where the problem was. With just the fronts done the ride and vibration was still all over the car but much less that before. It's interesting that the steering wheel still had a mild shake with the fronts done.

After doing the rears, all the shaking went away. I believe now that the frame is so stiff that if any corner is off on these light cars, it will cause the whole car to shake.....mine did.

I will say that I Road Forced at least 6 Goodyears on the Cobra with perfect results. I now know the first set of Nitto"s were out of round and therefore could be balanced but because of the out of round issue, the car vibrated. The second set of Nitto's were balanced by the dealer 9 times. Those tires were true and straight ( I saw them myself) but had I had them Road Force balanced instead of continuing to rely on the dealers 9700 balancer, they may have been fine...........In the end the balancer was the problem. It you read the insert from Schwab, you see that he used half the weights as the dealers machine also.

One thing he refers to on the balancer is........CONE ON THE INSIDE...CUP ON THE OUTSIDE........Remember that...It's how they mount the wheel on the balancer. He said cone on the inside and cone on the outside will give a false reading. Wish I knew that before.

Last edited by wanab5150; 08-23-2017 at 08:37 PM..