View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 12:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
I asked Dick Smith and he said it was not homologated with the car and they could not use it but they wanted to. I was told by an AC guy from England that I was crazy for not running it because of the down force. I tried it at SAAC at Watkins Glen in the early 1990's. I was up around 165 before the bus stop and the car was very stable at that speed. I took it out right after I bought the car in 1965 because I thought it was ugly. I stored it until the Watkins Glen event and reinstalled it after repainting the car. It has been in ever since, there is no adjustment just two tabs that hold it in place. The car had lots of lift above 140 without it so I was pleasantly surprised. There are pictures of it in my photo gallery.
I was wondering how my 289 FIA would do at around 150-160. It will be a crowded field at Watkins Glen with right now 49 cars in my group. Depending how things open up, I may or may not be able to get up to about 150 on the back straight prior to the bus stop. should be able to get to at least 140. The nose opening is a little smaller on the 289 FIA, not sure how much of an affect that may have. Will let you now in a week and a half.