View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcont View Post
The car has a small block 351w-427R.
It starts up immediately when cold. When warm, sometimes two or three attempts with a couple of seconds of cranking, unless I catch it just right with a few pumps on the gas pedal and just enough pressure on it while I start.
A new fuel pump was installed at the beginning of summer. I don't really remember having this issue before it. The mechanic says its due to the high levels of ethanol in the fuel. It took all summer, but I last week put in 5 gallons of 104 octane and filled the rest with 94 octane to see if this rectified the issue. It didn't.
I've also read it could be the starter not working well when warm.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Every older carbureted car I have ever owned exhibited this behavior to some extent including my current Cobra. My rule of thumb has always been - when cold (and I mean like first start of the day or after sitting for several hours) use one good pump and then crank with the throttle 1/4 to 1/2 open. When warm, don't touch the throttle just turn the key. Some cars like just a LITTLE throttle on a warm start but not much and if you pump it warm you will almost always flood it and it will take a bit of cranking to get the extra fuel out (and a nice black cloud when it finally fires). My old 390 Galaxie was like this, my small block Camaro, my F-150 with the 351W...all of them.

If the starter is cranking quick when warm it's not your starter.