View Single Post
Old 05-25-2002, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     
Default DOT RACING TIRES

I wanted to buy new tires today, I thought I could buy DOT approved racing tires and skirt the issue of
pure racing tires, not for street use. This has been a concern of mine in the event of an insurance claim, there would be a clear reason for the insurance company to deny a claim.

Here is what "a major manufacturer" warns on their web site about their dot racing tires:-
WARNING
NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE: All Hoosier Racing Tires including DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires are designed for racing purposes only on specified racing surfaces and are not to be operated on public roadways. DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department Of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death

I didn't make a purchase, anyone share my concerns?