Old 09-11-2017, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 2018 Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I think we just might be able to do something here...however, to even the un-level playing field a couple of ground-rules are required. First, my 914 is a simple well-behaved, street-legal floor-pan car with a stock-ish engine. I would expect the same of any Cobra you bring - breathing and spitting fire with a race engine ain't the deal - pump gas only. Anyone can bring a "ringer" to the track - not the point to our little fun game.

1) If you ARE building another Cobra for our "fun" event - lets limit the engine output to 600 crank hp. I am under that window...
2) I have a substantially smaller footprint than #3170 and this provides a nice trade-off for the Hoosiers I use (1/3+ less tire) - they are not a true slick.
3) Minimum weight = 2400 lbs (the 914 weights 2450)
4) I have never been to COTA but would be game - it will require some coordination but I would thoroughly enjoy the trip. Just an alternative, I was planning a trip to Road America (bucket list) - will you consider that as an alternative venue?

PS: Regarding my miss-quoted (as in half-quoted ) line about the "powerful Cobra" - lets be fair. Here is the original quote, "I currently own arguably the most powerful Cobra on the planet and it has an ugly 12-point cage (but oh so necessary)." It is not as brazen as it is being portrayed...eh? It is a Kaase 600-inch Boss motor wearing his engine masters winning heads - among a whole bunch of other goodies. It was solely built for a standing mile competition - not a road course.

Regarding Roebling - yes, there are a couple places that can get you in trouble but is really about as trouble free as a real track can be - agreed?

Cheers!

Tony
PM me your contact information please...
I am not building another Cobra, one is more than enough I can see I am not getting my message across, my Cobra will not be going on another road course again no matter what the conditions.

Hoosier tires are better than most slicks even Avon's if you are talking about A6 or A7. If your car is that stock the guys in cup cars or 991 GT3's are either on street tires are cannot drive. I should be getting a 2018 Ford GT in late 2018 or early 2019 that should be a great track car to compare to your 914. I think the Cobra would beat you in an autox even if you ran Hoosiers based on your description. We have a tube frame winged 914 out here that runs Porsche club events on Hoosiers that has lost to my Cobra or barely beat it several times. There is also an LS powered 914 but I have not compared times to him. I would agree to running the GT3 on Hoosiers against your 914 at road America. Road america has so many long straits you would need a turbo or high output N/A to keep up with a 991 especially considering the PDK and aero vs a 914.
In summation; if your car is as described we can autox it against the Cobra on street tires and you on Hoosiers. we can meet at Road America and I will put my GT3 on Hoosiers and use pump gas since you say that 991 GT3's are no problem.

RE. Worlds most powerful Cobra I do not consider anything that does not go around corners a Cobra. That is a Cobra silhouette 1 mile car, not a Cobra.
That is like calling John Force's old Mustang Funny Car a Mustang. What were they thinking anyway, Cobra's have terrible aerodynamics.