Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
Guys

I've done some searching through the forum for any identified spring ratings in use on your cars.

I did this as I was with my suspension bloke today for him to measure up for my shocks and he asked about spring ratings.

I've no idea what ratings the springs are in my car, these were part of the original package, but I quoted ratings Marty had indicated to me as front 500 - 550 and rear as 450 - 500lbs.

My bloke thought the rears at least were quite a heavy rate.

So to save a lot more forum scrolling time, I'd love to hear what front and rear spring rates you are all running.

Realise all the cars are different but then too they are very similiar and I suspect a modest sample of rates is going to hone in generally on a range at least that I can consider.

My suspension bloke has a link to at least one knowledgeable bod in the cobra game and will be asking him his opinion.

Look forward to some feedback and many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Steve
Steve,

While I first thought I don't know for your setup, I realize per your comment that I bolded above, you're looking for samplings of other's members' spring rates, for perspective. Here's mine...

I recently upgraded to QA1's all around. I have a heavier Everett-Morrison with iron headed 460 and jag rear at about 2,900 lbs. The coilover springs I went with are 2 ea. @ 500 lb front and 4 ea. at 250 lb rear.

QA1 and others offer sizing guidance charts and tech support to discuss standards, nuances, etc. Each angle degree, length and many other forces/factors apply and there are dizzying calculations methods online, etc.. I too took in lots on info/research and zeroed in on 'likely' rates.

I also relied on experience/advice from Vintage Wheels and Shell Valley who helped me with certain of my suspension upgrades and determinations in the process. I utilized QA1 tech support often to vet all of my questions and concerns and double check to verify my understanding and how I was asking it.

All that,resulted in the rates I mentioned above for my application and usage needs. Basically, comfortable street cruising with some corner carving and some quality performance oriented capabilities in general. I went with the double adjustable shocks to ensure flexibility if/as needed, particularly as I was looking to overcome some suspension issues, didn't want to limit my options for tuning. I figured, the majority of cost and time is going in as a core project regardless, don't want to end up preferring those later then and re-doing. 'Very' happy with so far.

By the way, when I compressed springs, I was uncomfortable upon using the auto store rental compressors. Ended up buying a plate style compressor with much more apparent control/leverage. Then bound the springs using 1/2" wide 250 lb test plastic zip ties that I tightened with large pliers. (The 250 lb zip tie is a manly helper.) Used enough ties that it was certainly overkill, but I felt better safe than sorry at that.

Was able to dial in the desired compressed heights easily for rear install for example, snip, snip...done. I chose to do with remaining suspension in place.
That said, don't take my word on spring compression it's risky obviously, to be done with/by experience and knowing the risks!

Brent