View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5USMC View Post
I was doing an oil change and I had a pesky little drip from differential and figured I'd see if I could stop it. It seemed to me based on what I saw, it was either coming from the fill plug or the fitting above it that runs to the collection can. The top fitting was pretty snug but I could tighten it some. The fill plug was not really snug at all but seated in there pretty good depth wise but I gave it a 1/4 turns to make sure. Of course the plugs design it's one you can tighten down as the plug has no flange on the end. I also notice that it has some high temp gasket maker ( RVT?) on the plug.

Once everything was done, went for a spin and got back and had a mess of oil under the diff. I really think the culprit for the initial and now bigger leak is the fill plug that I moved a few 1/4 turns. I got her jack up level and pulled the fill plug and actual got some oil came out which surprised me as I thought it wasn't supposed to be filed over that plug.

Now I'm at the point of just draining the oil from the diff as I'm at my first 500 miles so probably wouldn't hurt to replace it. As you can see this is a KMS diff that was a warranty replacement from my original one which Olthoff Racing requested be change due to a howling he noticed while doing the install work.

As you can see in the pics there are 2 plugs on the bottom. Any reason for 2 and which one is the drain ... I'd assume the lowest but you know how that goes!!!! Also what the best procedure to replace the oil in the diff as space is very very limited !!!! : ) Sure someone has a solid procedure on doing this. Is there a torque spec for the drain plug on re-installing. Finally what the best way to secure the fill /drain plug to minimize and leaks? I'm guessing the high temp rvt is a necessity on the fill plug.

Thanks for any and all help.!!!!!
I'm not going to guess on whether those plugs are for a cooler, catch can, or what -- but they shouldn't leak or drip. I will tell you that my custom ERA rear differential, (which is based on the Jaguar Dana 44 Powr-Lok unit), uses PTFE Teflon Pipe Tape on the fill plug threads, but uses Loctite PST Thread Sealant on the drain plug. I torque them both to 20 ft/lbs. Now, to get the oil in the differential, use an Oil Gun/Automotive Filler Syringe -- don't forget to include your limited slip modifier. Using the right oil, and the right friction modifier, is pretty important.