View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     
Default Last race of the year

Well, I competed in another vintage race weekend at Watkins Glen, this one with the Vintage Race Group (VRG). I approached VRG about racing with them at the Glen this year using the Superformance FIA race car. I had raced with them last year with my MGB. VRG was initially reluctant to allow the car to race as it was a replica, and very few vintage race groups allow replicas. I was granted special dispensation to race with the stipulation that the FIA was not officially approved to race with VRG on a regular basis. VRG is considering allowing the Superformance FIA to race and I should find out in the near future. In general the car was well received and was unofficially nominated as the best looking car at the race.

The weekend was a mix of rain and sun. The track was quite wet at times and there were several cars that were towed off the track. A BMW race club shared time on the track with us and there was a 6 car pile-up at the top of the esses that resulted in one driver being helicoptered to the hospital; later we learned that he was alright.

I did not have the go pro going for the first race, which was my best. Ran a 2:21 on the 3.5 mile course, my best time of the year, and came in sixth. After that, I started having transmission problems with shifting into 3rd gear, sometimes it was there and sometimes not. I eventually started to skip 3rd and would go from 2nd to fourth. Obviously, my times suffered. Will be trying to figure out what is wrong over the winter. Rick and Ross came out to help on Sunday, but we were not able to get it straightened out.

We will have pictures and possibly some video posted later. Overall, a nice beginning to the Superformance/Riverside Racers career. By the way, there was a Ferrari 308 GT at the race and I was able to race against it in my final race and the the Cobra-Ferrari war ended with the Cobra winning this time around.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 10-08-2017 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Forgot something