View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     
Default Post season changes\s

Getting ready for next year. One of the issues that I encountered this year was some trouble shifting, mostly notably into third, but at the end all the gears were binding. I have a Hurst Competition Plus shifter and it was observed that the linkages were a little sloppy. We also spent some time changing the length on the linkages to try to resolve the problem.

So, I removed the seats and tunnel to gain easier access to the shifter and re-aligned neutral with the alignment pin. The 3rd/4th gear arm was a little of, so I lengthened that. I also disabused myself of a fallacy that I and others had when trying to adjust the arm for better 3rd gear engagement. We were assuming that when the gear arm was facing forward that it would be third gear and when the arm was moved backwards it would be fourth, wrong! As I shifted gears it became quite obvious that the reverse was true.

To deal with the sloppy levers, I ordered some steel bushings and spring clips from Summit. The top set is what was on the shifter, nylon bushing clip and washer, the bottom set is the steel bushing and spring clip.

Removing the old ones with the transmission in place was a mild pain, replacing those with the steel bushings and spring clips was a major pain Not a lot of room o work with, had to move shift levers at times and disconnect arms to access other arms. But, after an hour or so, all were in place. A much better feel, no sloppiness and smoother shifting.

Started the car up with the tires in the air and she went through the gears no problem. Now on to the next project, new oil cooler lines and fittings as the old ones had some minor leaks at the fittings that just could not be stopped.

Jim