Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
For Brent:

I got your email this morning and got this error message back from my sender portion:

The original message was received at Tue, 24 Oct 2017 17:40:33 +0000 from 71-38-188-225.lsv2.qwest.net [71.38.188.225]

----- Transcript of session follows -----
451 4.4.1 reply: read error from mail.clubcobra.com.
<Brent-Mills@clubcobra.com>... Deferred: Connection reset by mail.clubcobra.com.
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

The highlighted in red error is yet another indicator that something is goofy here and not just with forums and it is not a server speed issue.

Sounds like the new hardware will certainly be a benefit to the site in many ways. Also, while the current slowness issue could be several things having similar effect, it does seem possibly like the following:

Based on the web delays, and the information twobjshelbys provided on the email error response, it seems the slowness may well be a DNS (Domain Name Server) issue, with entries not finding the DNS server. Whether that be a DNS server on your hardware and/or the DNS servers at the registrar. If a DNS server path is incorrect, it will try to access it for a defined timeframe, often like 20-30 seconds, until that times out, then it will move to the next DNS server and try there. If the first one isn’t found (maybe entered incorrectly, or changed from the name/path last setup for it), but it finds it on the second, or third, etc., it would eventually go through, but only after that delay. That can affect website calls and (deferred) emails.

That’s one reason the registrars will have generally two (or more) DNS servers assigned, to ensure it goes through if not working on one for whatever reason. Things can get twisted around more complex therein as well, including if you have both internal and external DNS server paths setup. Something may just be messed up there, to where this site is pointing for DNS. If so, perhaps checking with a registrar would help, if not already, as relates to their DNS server path/settings.

I wonder if upon trying to pro-actively bypass a server (like going to an open DNS) when a recent virus/attack hit that the first/primary DNS got changed back incorrectly or such?

This may well have been considered already...just in case.

Thanks, Brent