Old 11-09-2017, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Weight Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinoonaz View Post
My message to the Controller at the Good Guys got forwarded to Ed. Ed is in charge of the autocross since inception 12 years ago. I will not be able to quote verbatim but here it goes. There was talk about weight class divisions. Two seat car divisions. There is not going to be a restriction on weight ever. Basically run what you brung for now. The vettes and Cobras will battle as always in a two seater class if ever initiated. Now that I have mixed up the works, see you at the races One added note: the autocroass was started on the basis of a street car driven to show and runs. I personally don't care either way. I know I cannot compete with a lot of the cars. I don't even have the correct tires let alone a suspension set-up. Enjoy and love 3170 kicking some arse's Gary
Thank you that is great news, we heard a slightly different story. Several competitors got together and asked Ed to have the minimum weight rule. We were told that there was a strong possibility that it would happen by a source close to Ed. I have heard that lots of people were contacting Goodguys telling them not to do it so what ever happened I am a happy camper!
Incidently my car is legal for street driving in California and has plates and insurance I don't drive it on the street because of the danger from other drivers.

The 2018 plan was as follows:
Form circular sections of mallory metal or lead with the same OD as my frame ID with clearance for sliding. Slide a bunch of weight into the rear 5 feet of both frame rails and then make up spacer tubing that butts against the front caps and keeps the weight in place. We would have a really low CG, 59% rear weight bias and probably be able to use more throttle on them.
I think the car might actually be faster because 200 TW tires need weight to achieve maximum mechanical grip. Not doing this will save me a bunch of work!