View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

jaydee,
No cracks were encountered at the welds. You are correct I pin your answer about heat being the enemy of a nylock. The nylock material in the bolt was melted to the point where it was mostly melted away, what was there was crystallized to the point of providing any kind of mechanical locking advantage. Hence there is no provisions for locking the bolt into a secure position.
Completely understand the advantages of the "grade 5" bolt, by allowing the bolt to have some elasticity it may prevent a catastrophic failure as compared to a "grade 8" bolt that has no elasticity and as a result will fail completely when exceeding its threshold. AN bolts tend to be strongest in a shear applications rather than tension, but the strength of an AN3 - A20 will be at least as strong as an SAE fastener under tension, per written specification.
FYI,
The aviation industry does not recognize the SAE standards of fasteners nor do they allow the use of SAE fasteners in the aviation industry.

xb-60,

I believe that you meant to say that a bolts thread should never be subjected to a shear load under torque?

Last edited by CompClassics; 11-19-2017 at 10:49 PM..