View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by coowilla View Post
Does anyone have a photo of an AC Cobra MK2 drivers /passengers 'A' post showing the door locating hole and peg? I have the locating tube on the door but nothing on the 'A' post. Any help much appreciated.
Original cars: What worked for me.
The hole in the A pillar is aligned with the sleeve in the door frame. If the hole in the door jamb has been filled (or covered over with new coachwork) it can usually be found in the body support tubing (unless they too were filled) by inserting a drill bushing in the sleeve in the door frame and taking a small drill through the sleeve to the A pillar while the door is closed. Once the location is verified you can open the door and use the finish size drill to open the hole up for either the brass pin (for early Cobras) or rubber bumpers (for most Cobras).

I checked alignment in such a way on my unrestored car and then fixed all the door jambs in two other original Cobras that had replacement aluminum coachwork in those areas. In each case as soon as my small drill breached the aluminum skin it passed through the old holes in the steel tubing underneath.