View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodabest View Post
I'm torn. Both options have up/downs. Anyone out there had or driven both in a s/c type platform? I see the windsor option as less xpense, lighter, POSSIBLY more reliable. The FE? Well, more (lots) money, heavier (handling?), better sounding, like, in my dna better sounding, more value of the finished car
You've summarized all the keys points yourself right there. The Windsor will be an easier/less expensive platform to extract more HP from, unless/until you decide to go up over 420 cubes, while the FE "looks" more correct in a 427 style replica, and will allow for more "crazy" if you want to go up into the expensive mega-Cube area. That just about covers it...

You can put a set of FE-style valve covers on a tall deck Windsor, and cover the carb with a Turkey Pan, and who's gonna notice the difference at the monthly Cars and Coffee at that point?

If you plan to build the car with "originality" in mind, and want to show the car, drive it occasionally, and keep wrenching on it forever, build the FE. If you plan to DRIVE the car, show it occasionally, and still keep wrenching on it forever (but spending less $$ while wrenching on it), then build the Windsor.

Larry makes a good point that your chassis is already set up the Windsor- is more fabrication worth the time and effort? (again- it's your decision)

And sound? I'm not sure I follow... Put the right cam, lifters, and rockers in ANY engine, and tune the exhaust correctly, and they can sound just as raspy as you want them too. One of our local Az guys (DrDuc) has a 500+HP 427 Windsor in his car, and it sounds EVIL, and can smoke every FE around it (of similar displacement) every time he hits the go-pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodabest View Post
and lastly, not having to explain to the ignorant but inevitable douchebag my rationale behind a small block. Please keep in mind that my 390 FE block will be crossbolted, and thus indistinguishable to all but the most astute douchebag's scrutiny.
Just ignore the douchebags, and don't let them influence your decision. It's your car. Use your judgement.

Last edited by moore_rb; 12-04-2017 at 06:03 AM..