View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default What Made You Buy Or Build You Cobra ?

To be honest, as a teen in the early 80's (I'm 55 years old now) I was racing Go-Karts, Mini Sprints the 360 winged dirt sprints, and not thinking street cars. But, when I turned 17, I saw a 69' Z-28 iCamaro in the parking lot at school, and I was amazed with it. I was hooked !

So, I sold two of my mini-sprint's so I could build one of my own. I found a 76' Camaro that needed help, I bought it and started tearing it apart. Dad said, leave me one stall in the garage ! I did, but he was pissed whenmI took over the shed and half the back yard. I heard,.....KEVIN !!!

Anyway, I graducated in 1980. A friend of my dads helped getting me into a community college auto mechanic shop, already 2 weeks into 1st quarter. He tought carb/fuel injection.I brought my Camaro in with many,...box's and a trailer parts into class and started working.

I was able tto do everything except for the interior. Those were the times of the Pro-Street craze ! So I built one. 468 Ratt, Munci Rock Crusher, narrowed Ford 9" with 514's in the pumpkin. I painted it candy apple red. I was so excited with the final cost of only $7,000, including buying the car.

My wife sold her 68' Mustang and I sold my Camaro to buy our house. We vowed to build a car when we paid half of the morgage. At those times, I almost bought a 34' Ford coupe steel project car, tubb the rear, automatic trans and build a 6-72 blown 355ci motoe foe aroung 800 HP. But,.....then I found Midstates Cobra, only 50 miles from me, and was stoked !

I found a great deal on a Lone Star kit for $13,000.
The man needed to sell it quickly, because of divorcing his wife.

I love it so much, that I don't plan on ever selling it. Other than racing the 360 sprint car, the Cobra is the most fun of any car,...I've ever drove !

So, what's your story of buying or driving a Cobra, over other childhood car dreams ?