View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I was aware of Cobras in the 60s and early 70s but my real interest was muscle cars and Vettes. Then about 1971 or 1972 while in college, Road & Track published a story about one of their writers who bought a silver 427 Street Roadster and about buying it and owning it. Still have the magazine and the car is still original and on display in CA somewhere. I was hooked from that time on. If a Road & Track guy could cross over and be so enthusiastic about an English/American hot rod like a 427 Cobra - it must be something special.

I took out a brochure for an ERA in 1980 but work, moving around, marriage sort of always was in the way. Went through a couple 427 Corvettes (one I still have after 30 years) but never completely lost interest in the Cobra. Finally with retirement coming on I started thinking about building a replica and while I looked at a lot of different manufacturers I kept gravitating back to an ERA. Finally in 2009 I placed my order, painted it myself, built most of it myself and got it on the road about 3 or 4 years ago.