Old 12-24-2017, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART00 View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

Tony, regarding your question about EFI -- I've seen a few carb'd Cobras struggle to start up or idle properly and read a few posts in this forum describing the various other benefits of EFI, with the only apparent downside being initial acquisition cost and engine tuning (and further departure from 60's technology). According to your profile you have the Roush 427 IR. Are you happy with the engine, and in addition to climate or elevation considerations have you experienced improved performance or 'ease of use' with EFI? Sorry if this is a topic for another thread - I'm new here and don't know all of the forum rules. Just let me know and I can move it elsewhere.

Thanks,
Ali
I was not happy with the Roush 427IR. At that stage of the game they were using an Accel fuel injection controller with a faux 8-stack. They could never get it tuned, even after sending the whole car to them. I finally got a mostly good tune from a guy locally that had been to the Accel training and found they had failed to complete the setup of the altitude compensation table. Had I kept it I was considering switching to carbs becasue the faux 8-stack would get out of sync and require mechanical "tuning" once a year. Roush has since switched to another DFI controller and I've not heard if people have successfully "trained" it in 10K+' transitions. Even at our altitude (5000-14000') carbs are not a problem at normal street driving. A friend put the 427R (carbd, but otherwise same engine) in his SPF GT40 and it ran fine at altitude.

PS. Startup and idle concerns are usually camshaft related. Don't get goofy.