View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx Mike View Post
Most of us have carbureted engines. Not as efficient or tolerant of altitude changes as fuel injection for sure but pretty easy to set up and they worked fine for Detroit for 70+ yrs until emmisions and fuel economy requirements forced a change. EFI works great once you have it dialed in but this is not a trivial effort.

Make sure you consider what you mean by "idle properly". The cams and heads most of us have in these cars do not result in a smooth, quiet idle. These are not modern cars. Mine sounds like it wants to kill something when it fires up.
A loud and rough idle is perfect, as long as I can get it set up such that it starts consistently and reliably. It sounds like a well-built carbureted engine will accomplish that, and also that EFI isn't necessarily a safe bet to address reliability concerns. I don't have a lot of experience with engines, but that is one of the reasons why I want to own a Cobra.

In addition to the engine builders you mentioned, it would be great to talk to someone local in Arizona about engine options, install costs, etc. Any recs are appreciated.

For those celebrating tonight - Merry Christmas.

Ali