View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Unless I missed it I didn't see in your posts that you have ever sat or rode in a Cobra replica. I would probably give that a try first as they are pretty bare bones and raw. Especially with side pipes. I admit I had almost zero time in Cobras (a FFR was one brief exception) before building mine but I have a couple mid-60s muscle cars including a 427 Vette coupe so I was pretty much aware what to expect. My ERA is actually easier to drive and smoother than the restored Vette but you're more exposed to the elements in the Cobra roadster.

If you are looking for a shop built car you are probably looking primarily at Backdraft, Superformance, Kirkham, ERA, - I may be missing someone, maybe Hurricane and Unique. ERA sells finished rollers and pallet or roller kits - but the serial number plate is coded to tell you if it was shop assembled or owner assembled. Not sure about the others as far as partial assemblies and coding.

Be aware side pipes are cool looking and iconic - but they are loud - both to your neighbors and to the driver. They are also blistering hot after running a couple of minutes and apt to burn you a time or two. They may be fun at first but unless you are a pretty hard-core performance person, you may be far less fond of them after awhile. Unfortunately, undercar exhaust system cars are far less common although they do pop up now and then. Superformance has sold a number and ERA & Kirkham a few. There are some FIA and slabside (small block) cars around with undercar exhaust also.

Any of these cars will occasionally need some work or maintenance - so if you aren't particularly handy with adjusting clutches, setting timing, adjusting a carburetor, changing out a hydraulic cylinder, trouble shooting a charging system, then you really need to first find a trust-worthy mechanic who has some experience with older car systems. A lot of young mechanics don't know a thing about carbs, distributors, adjusting Hurst linkages, etc.

Good luck with your decsion