View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
meanwhile I am a bit confused about the relationship of all the companys involved in the recent CSX Continuation Series

Shelby
Shelby Legendary Cars (only a new marketing portal maybe)
SPF
Hillbank
HiTech
McCluskey
David Kirkham
Tom Kirkham

what I think to know maybe is:

Lance Stander owns Hillbank and SPF

SPF and not Shelby offers and promotes the actual Shelby Continuation Cars on their Website
not only the Fiberglass Version but also the Aluminium Versions (what about Kirkham?)
Superformance - Shelby

Shelby offers still some older looking (Mexico?) Glass Versions on their Website
Shelby.com

McCluskey did the assembly of the recent Shelby CSX Sebring tribute Cars for Shelby/Hillbank/SPF, even the Glass Cars

David Kirkham made the 50th Shelby Daytonas, one is still offered by Shelby (CSX 9950) http://info.shelbyamerican.com/Downl...Collection.pdf

Tom Kirkham lengthened a 3rd Party Aluminium Daytona Body for Hillbank promoted as the secret Shelby Weapon equipped with CSX 2605 Number
For Sale 2017 Shelby 427 Daytona Secret Weapon CSX2605 Coupe | Hillbank Motor Corporation

what I don't know:

who assembles the Shelby Aluminium Cars: Shelby?, Kirkham?, SPF? McCluskey?

who assembles the Shelby Glass Cars: Shelby?, HiTech? SPF? McCluskey?

are the SPF Glass Cars still beeing produced in South Africa at HiTech or do they have an own production Line in the US?

what VIN will the Bondurant Tribute Cars get?

and who is making the development and marketing for the Shelby continuation cars in the first place?
Unwinding the Shelby American/SPF/HiTech/Hillbank is easiest to think of HiTech as a manufacturer of components used to build Superformance and Shelby Cobras. They have few if any interchangeable components, mostly screws, and no body parts! Hillbank serves as the primary distributor for both Superformance and Shelby American cars.

The Kirkham brothers (Tom is no longer there) build aluminum cars under their own name as well as (in recent years) supplying aluminum body cars to Shelby American. At one point they were different but now the difference is primarily what VIN number is assigned. The argument over whether the Kirkham cars became more Shelby-ish or vice versa is a religious argument not to be had here again.

Mike McClusky is not related to either set. He is independent Cobra restorer. He built some "Shelby Cobras" along with Carroll that are much storied and that story isn't, again, worth going into here. His relationship to the new CSX "resumption" cars (that get CSX3xxx serial numbers) is also party with Drew Serb. Alloy cars in that series came from both Serb/McClusky and Kirkhams with both being the assembly/manufacturing for DenBeste.

The "Mexico" connection was HST International and HST went out of business 5+ years ago. They were a second source of fiberglass cars and built somewhere between one and two handfuls of carbon fiber cars before they went out of business (my CSX4005LA was a HST cf car, it was beautiful and had I kept it would have gotten a repaint to Guardsman blue eventually).

But the reality is that every question you asked has 1000% more detail here already - just use SEARCH.

The VIN assignment sequence for the Bondurant cars is in the press release.

Shelby not offering CSX cars on their web site couldn't be farther from the truth.

And the answer to your last question is Shelby American for the CSX continuation cars (CSX4xxx, CSX6xxx, CSX7xxx, CSX8xxx, CSX9xxx(coupes). They still own the brand and own the CSX continuation business. The Shelby Foundation is responsible for the "resumption" cars, ie, those getting newly assigned CSX3xxx VINs (and they are not street legal since they come with an engine installed) The Bondurant cars press release says Shelby American so these CSX2xxx resumption cars appear to be Shelby American (and are rollers so street legal).

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 01-13-2018 at 02:27 PM..