View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     

OK, sorted out....back a few years ago, a "real" mechanic helped me do the intake manifold on this car. I recall distinctly that he placed the distributor, as he was critical (rightly so, really) that I had failed to mark the distributor's position on the intake. At any rate, he must have placed that errant "o-ring/seal" back then. It's misshapen appearance, as seen in the photos, was a tip off that it never should have gone there in the first place. Now, I come along, by myself, 3 years or so later, and see that there's an "o-ring/seal" there and figure that's where the new one goes. WRONG! So much for adult supervision.

That "o-ring/seal" that came with the Fel-Pro manifold gasket kit, goes at the top of the distributor, where it meets the intake manifold, not deeper down at the block's indent, where there is no seal. This was correctly noted by a couple of the guys on the thread, and verified by Susan Parham at Southern. So, thanx everyone. The distributor is correctly mounted and so, now, it's onward through the fog! thanx again. steve