View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Cometics are nice but unless the block/heads were machined for them, adding a set would be a no-no. It's best to use a good old regular head gasket.

As a quick FE-intake-install recap:

With no gaskets on the heads, mock up the intake first and make sure that there are no gaps between the head/intake which would indicate an angle mismatch, which would require machining the intake flanges.

In addition, all head gasket tabs that stick out into the lifter valley need to be bent down so that they won't hold the intake manifold up.

Intake gaskets need to be glued to the heads on FE's. You can use your choice of poison.....Right Stuff, TA-31, Dow Corning 732 (what I use), RTV, whatever you want. But the bottom line is that you need to glue the intake gaskets to the heads with a bead around each port (both air and water) and then put another layer of sealant on the gaskets before you set the intake down.

Cork end gaskets are a no-no. Use silicone/sealant there too.

The front and rear head drains on an FE angle right at the china walls. If you don't have sufficient silicone coverage in the right spots, the oil drains will push oil right out.