View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post
Yes, there's the rub. We are lucky to have Gerry Hawkridge in the UK who is producing patterns for parts and producing original-spec suspension components and some other items. I don't know how much profit he makes from this but the business does seem to be growing. He's making patterns at the moment for the aluminium water manifold casting, and the header tank aluminium pipe with heater take-off. I have impressed upon him that the manifold needs to have the original boss included so we owners can saw it off, as original. Finishline do a replica piece for this but they have omitted the boss, thereby marking the part out as a replica. They're none of them perfect, but they're trying, can't deny that. Getting a leather grain right is a whole different ball game, though.
I contacted him about one specific assembly that he made exactly like original. He only made a few and won't do it exact again as just like originals it was as fragile as original. What he sells now generally looks the same but has been updated to suit buyers that don't want something as fragile as an original. I don't know about any other of his parts but most of the American makers of parts have also updated designs in part to make them cheaper to make and or more robust. They then are not truly original specification anymore. Most of the new replacement parts I have held are at least 10% by weight heavier than originals as makers produce heavier duty parts for one reason or another. One maker was doing control arms that were twice as heavy as originals.