View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post
Yes, the market for true originality is even smaller. Most people want the correct look but 'improved' design if it's possible. I have fitted NOS parts to my car over the years with other folk incredulous that I have actually made the car 'worse' in their eyes. 'Worse', maybe - but more original. Most folk don't understand that mindset. Fair enough to the remanufacturers, I suppose - they won't last long if they ignore the majority of their customers. The agenda is different.
Lots of parts don't make or change the character of a car, the feel that original street and race car builders and users experienced. Using stainless steel trim screws in place of the chrome plated brass ones AC Cars used, no. Replacing dozens of British Grade R hex cap screws and bolts with modern American anything, no. This leather versus that, no. However there are a lot that do. Revised chassis, revised suspensions, different transmissions, stroker engines, and added weight just won't "feel" the same as a new original in 1964 and that’s ignoring radial ply tires which USA cars never got new. (Driving an almost unmolested 1963-64 Cobra (or later 427 Cobra) on modern radial tires? I promise you that the feel is not the same as it was on hard rubber compounds narrow treads bias belted tires in the 1960s. What did that new Cobra road test say back in the day, something like ‘driving a Cobra was like feeding an oily snake to a greased pig’. No, I won’t give up radial tires thank you very much.)