View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
@eschaider, What in the world happen to the cars??? More to the point, The Cobra?? It seem's if it was a Estate sale, everything was for sale? With a collection like this gentleman has, his family would have the sense, to contact the right people to break-up this incredible collection. more to the story? And where pray tell were these cars at? City, State?? The neatest Estate sale I attended was Pete Lovely's. Look up his race history, last privateer to race in Formula 1 (Lotus 49) Won the first race at Laguna Seca (57 Ferrari Testa Rossa. I was able to be one of the first in, and have many one-off item's (his first trophies, from the 50's), his cars were long gone.
A small portion of the cars were auctioned off at the Mecum auction two or three years ago Alfa. The group that was auctioned brought around five million dollars or so, possibly a little more, if I recall correctly. The Cobra was sold in a private sale away from the auction. The majority of the cars at that time did not go to auction.

The family was quite diligent in the selection of cars to auction, which to keep and who would auction them. As you might suspect some of the cars had sentimental value to family, others not so much. All were stunning!

The collection was in California just outside of the San Jose area.

These collections are breathtaking as you explore what they contain. They are an extraordinary testimonial to the enthusiasm some well to do folks have for our illness.

Ed

Update: My how time flies! I was thinking this was about three years ago. Boy have I lost track of time! This was actually ten years ago — old men who can't sense the passage of time anymore

Here is a link to my original post 10 years ago => Barn Find

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 01-25-2018 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Updated my faulty internal clock