View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I'm speculating but I think it boxes in a frame cross member. The two front roll bar feet are secured to something solid under it on the SC cars - has to be the frame.
On a Cobra (leaf spring chassis) you might argue that the little shelf helps hide the nose of the differential but that seems a weak idea. Without the shelf, where would the side windows get stored? In the boot compartment just tossed on top of the spare tire and free to slide around? Behind the seats with just a flat plane bulkhead, then you couldn't get full rear seat position adjustment; which is important to taller occupants.

On a Cobra roll bar hoop legs go through the shelf if a factory style bar is installed “through the body” which was typical. Mounting tabs and sockets for the roll bar hoop legs had to be added to the chassis. However, SAI did install a few “behind the seat” and those installations didn’t require holes in the shelf we are discussing. My red car, at various times in its existence had “behind the seat” and “through the body” roll bar installations. The installation present since at least the last 1970s early 1980s is through the body; which also required rear bulkhead and fuel tank modifications.

I’ll leave 427 Cobra factory roll bar installation comments to somebody else.

Last edited by Dan Case; 01-26-2018 at 05:03 PM..