Old 01-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     
Default Steering

Steering Rack / Shafts / U-joints

Upgraded manual rack to a new Flaming River one. Bolt centers, overall length, pivot points and short input shaft length all matched exactly. Yet the input shaft housing oriented differently on rack from my existing, leaving about 3/4" short to the u-joint. Ok I'll just adjust that into the lower shaft/joint. Well, given uncommon existing column/shaft ends, none of the popular steering manufacturers could match, and with prior shafts of many diameters and welds, I decided to update the shaft system. That involved much education and trial and error. Didn't want to replace the column at this time. That's a project of its own for me and this car, tying into the wiring, a desired future project of its own. I had enough variables to cap off, test and get on the road.

To mate to the column, I used the existing middle joint/shaft (in better shape than the existing upper joint), moved it to the column end, cut a few inches down and incorporated a single weld to a new single coupler which fastened to a new 3/4" 36 spline shaft. Went with 36 splines for maximum adjustability. Went with a 14" upper shaft. The existing support bearing was 1" diameter, searched out a matching Timken flange style support bearing locally, but went with the 3/4" diameter bearing/shaft. Existing bolt holes on frame mounting flange were already drilled to accept the wide or narrow bolt centers on the different support bearings. That allowed me to use the lower bolt rungs, gaining angle advantage for the middle joint, and more header clearance with a consistent diameter 3/4" shaft (prior had three sizes up to an inch).

Used pinch bolt style u-joints below and a 6-3/4" lower shaft (7" trimmed 1/8 on each end). I liked the larger pinch bolts for strength, those joints also come in stronger stainless, I figured it wouldn't hurt in a steering component. That pinch style joint in Flaming River only came in polished stainless. I’d envisioning a black painted setup, yet went with the pinch style/strength (so in polished). The smaller profile shaft and joints now have increased clearance from frame and headers. This also gave the opportunity to extend the upper shaft an inch past the support bearing, improving clearance and lower shaft orientation.

I cut 15 threads off each inner tie rod end on new rack to accommodate the 1" short control arms. Minor work on new steering shafts for set screw divots and pinch bolt notches, and red loctite. The 36 splines allowed me to easily straighten the steering wheel without removing it, which had been way off center (and only 6 bolt adj’s). Achieved fully aligned phasing of the steering u-joints. Also restored oxidized steering wheel spokes and added new center cap while at it (old one was chipped, scratched and installed crooked).

Before photos

After photos

Steering wheel - before photos

Steering wheel - after photos

More to come soon...Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 03-08-2021 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: Title