Old 02-02-2018, 08:00 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     
Default Front Suspension / Brakes / Steering Project Final Results and Comments

Front Suspension / Brakes / Steering Project - Results

Results are ‘significant’. No more fender rubbing, and full free lock to lock steering. Much improved stance and ride/height adjustability. Excess steering wheel play is gone, steering smoother and solid, much easier turning with more controlled, predictable feel. Suspension is finally doing its job, and with full travel and flatter cornering. Still looking to add a front sway bar in the future along with the existing rear sway bar. Brakes are vastly improved. Before, pedal engaged near floor, and, giving it all I had, didn't know if I could stop. Now the pedal is firm by 1/2 pedal and binds down nicely, a feeling of real control and stopping confidence. Successfully burnished/bedded brakes per instructions.

The front/rear brake balancing seems intact, with fronts locking just slightly before the rears. Suspension squeaking is gone, used to squeak like crazy just getting into the seat. I always liked the solid ride feel of this car, it's now even better. Stable and predictable, rides smoothly, more refined, a very comfortable ride still with tighter bushing design, yet still rubber based bushings. Steering is ‘very willing’ on corners now. Car used to lean badly with prior orientation, underrated springs and prior shocks, with forces fighting against any cornering. With improved suspension setup, the car wants to go where it’s pointed, and even more when asked. It feels like proper spring action against weight transfer to put force back into the corner, at least that’s the feel now. Perfect result for me for a street cruiser with some performance capabilities. It drives like a dream on the street and backroads, compared to before.

At first I dropped it to the weeds and liked the look. Then, I became more interested in easy street driving and raised it for ground clearance. I now appreciate that look and balance for my use. It at least gets me close to (minimally) acceptable street ground clearance. Currently 4-3/8" at bellhousing, 5" the oil pan and frame, 5-1/2" at front cowl. We'll see how that goes, and adjust as needed. Ground to fender 26-1/2" rears and 26-1/8" fronts, with equal tire pressure, giving a slight forward rake. Passenger side pipe is now about level. Driver side pipe needs (new) rubber mount repositioned to level out some more, has some available play.

The photo below was prior, coming out of a parking lot ‘very slowly’ and ‘very wide’ turn angle, so as not to rub. You can see the lean going on at that. The video link below that is leaving the same corner, about twice as fast (normal speed) and a much smaller turn radius, with much less leaning. Feels very natural. Not the best sound but if you crank the volume you can get a hint of the deep rumble at the end. Video is best viewed in 1080p.

Before - lean

After (video) - much flatter

https://youtu.be/zy3bbCZQ_1w

Front Suspension / Steering / Brakes Project - Final Comments

Everything has been a matter of competing tolerances working in harmony. Like Jujitsu joint locks every way you turn and having to work it out successfully within that environment. No going back, you’ve got to succeed. It's been very satisfying doing this work, learning the car, and achieving some useful upgrades. Knocked 50+ lbs of weight off the front as well. As usual, I’d measure 5 times and cut twice, then do it all again because I f’d up the first time. Then I’d do it one last time to get it just how I wanted it!

This is a great hobby, my wife is happy when I work on the car, she knows how happy it makes me. For these things, I’m very grateful! Her support can be seen in one comment. I was explaining options to get more air flow with very limited hood clearance. That included either installing a larger hood scoop, or going with an eight stack if it fits, etc. Her response, ‘I don’t like the idea of a larger scoop as much, I really like the way it looks now, why don’t you just go with the eight stack!’ Uhh...ok! There you have it! She’s also the first to have her Cobra passenger hat on when I walk in the door and she'll say…”it’s reeeeally nice outside”, with a hopeful smile! Previously our matching black U2 Joshua Tree Tour hats, now with our matching Cobra Powered by Ford hats! Life is good with a Cobra!

Thanks to all who've contributed to this site over the years, I probably relied on hundreds of your posts and experiences...another reason to support this site! Time to drive it for a little while! If you got to this point, thanks for hanging in there on this initial project. Enjoy your Cobras!

Also, below are some general ‘working shots’ from this project.

More to come soon...Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 02-07-2018 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Update video link; add clarifying word 'she'll'