Thread: Ammeter needle
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     
Default Update - Lucas ammeter (and Smiths fuel gauge)

Some progress here on the gauge collection for my Cobra....

First a recap on the "why...?"

One of the 'inspiration' cars for my 289FIA build was COB6008. COB6008 has, ex-factory, the wide FIA hips, RHD, and also Smiths/Lucas instrumentation, so that's the way I wanted to go with my build.
The Smiths Fuel gauge and the Lucas ammeter that are currently available from Nisonger and Caerbont don't match the original Smiths and Lucas, so I located an ex-MGB fuel gauge and a Lucas BM4 ammeter.
The Fuel gauge, with "single V" bezel was eazy to modify to "double V", but the ammeter needed a bit more work. The bezel was correct, but the scale is 50 amp (not 30 amp) and the needle was not correct to my eye. The 50 amp scale I can live with, as I will initially be running an alternator, but the needle needed correcting. As pictured in an earlier post here, I found a cheap Lucas donor gauge, and I have now 're-birthed' the needle into my gauge.

The result isn't exactly as original, but close enough......

Cheers,
Glen

edit: a plug for Caerbont. They have supplied me with correct new bezels twice now , and other stuff as well. They are nice guys, and fully on-board with us enthusiasts.