View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer5 View Post
I’m purchasing a Cobra that has a 427 installed. These are the build specs from the mid 90s. Cobra has under 8k miles. 427 high rise block ( side bolts , pressed in freeze plugs ), High rise heads,7 angle valve job,dual plane high rise manifold with 850 double pumper annular carb. Cloyes roller chain , Crower chromoly pushrods and solid lifters , comp cams roller rockers , performance camshaft (make unknown), Arias custom 427 pistons with 10.4 compression and 4.25 bore. Also has lemans rods & ARP bolts with 428 crank externally balanced. Clevite bearings with ferret comp stainless valves , isky valve springs , Manly spring retainers and locks , Aviad road race baffled oil pan, with McLeod aluminum flywheel and Hayes 11 inch clutch and pressure plate. - my question is should the lack of screw in plugs be an issue ? Could it be a service or truck block ? Could it be a center oilers drilled for side bolts ? I’m going to take a ‘flyer ‘ on the car and sell my Unique. Any ideas about the motor. Thanks and SORRY FOR THE LONG POST !
Paul:

I don't know about the press in freeze plugs versus screw in. I do know the way you tell if an FE is a side oiler is that there will be a pipe plug on the front of the block, above the oil pan and outside the timing cover. It will be on the driver side, the side where the block oil filter goes. If it does not have this pipe plug, it is a top oiler or center oiler. Hope this helps.