View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

I was back at it today. I was more diligent in collecting information than yesterday. With the tank sender removed from the tank, I got:

246 ohms with the float in the empty position
32 ohms with the float in the full position

I checked to see if the float leaks. It does not.

I checked the range of motion of the float with the tank depth. While doing this, I noticed the float was not horizontal. It turned very easily, from vertical to horizontal and any other position. I tightened the set screw holding the float rod as tight as I could, making sure the float was horizontal. It seemed fairly secure.

I then hooked the sender up to the car, still outside the tank, moved the float and watched the fuel gauge. With the float fully up, the fuel gauge reads about 7/8 fuel. In several other positions, the fuel gauge seemed to track the float position fairly well.

I put the sensor back into the tank, and checked the resistance between the center screw and the tank. I got 246 ohms, which it should be.

I will install the tank back in the car tomorrow and try again. I think the loose float hanging vertical and only 5 gallons in the tank was not enough to make the fuel gauge move.

Back tomorrow with the results.