View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     

I know this thread is a little old, but I just made a road trip to visit some classic bike and car museums. And it reinforced how much sense the Backdraft makes. I am over 50 now, and got my first 66 Mustang at age 14. Vintage English Bikes and Cars have been a longstanding obsession for me. And a few things hit me...my top three cars were a 1962 Corvette, a Big Healey and a Cobra. I owned the first two, but with about 1000 made of the original Cobras, that was out of reach. Until I considered a Backdraft. It has the look, but the wiring is not 50 years old and crispy. The motor is a mild by today's standard 345 Horse small block Ford. The original Cobra was a legend with a 271 ADVERTISED horse motor. In the 60's, a lot of horsepower claims were made but nobody ended up in court. Just saying. At any rate, the Backdraft makes a lot more sense to a driver. I know, I know. A lot of guys collect cars because they can, and frankly I love that. They are the stewards of history that will pass them on. However, that is not me. I don't have kids. I do have a Backdraft, and it is without question the most fun I have had on four wheels. Remember, I am a lifelong car guy. I did the whole MG, Triumph, Austin Healey, Jaguar, Lotus progression. To say nothing of the convertible muscle cars I also dabbled in. I need a local friend with what the kids call a scanner to give me a chance to show those photos. Anyway, the long and the short of it is the Backdraft gives you a car with modern reliability as opposed to a restored classic, to say nothing about being able to park it and run in to get a soda. Just saying.