View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Great article, but seems like a pretty hefty price for the parts supplied in the top end kit. Seems like with a little judicious shopping, you could secure the same parts and pieces for a substantial savings.

Being a cheapskate, I built a 393 on a budget. The 393 especially lends itself to relatively inexpensive build up using mostly stock parts in the rotating assembly.
I purchased a 74 351W block and a bunch of parts from a guy who had given up on a project. Took it to my machinist and had the block cleaned up, machined, and my rotating assembly balanced. I bought a 393 stroker crank, had my 351W rods reconditioned, found some barely used 302 hypereutectic pistons on a Mustang site where I also found some barely used Vic jr. heads. Picked up a Weiand stealth manifold at a car parts swap and a Unilite distributor. Finally, found a Comp Cams Extreme Energy cam kit with new springs, pushrods, roller chain and timing gears and some Comp Cams roller rockers. Holley 4150 750 DP tops it off.

Along with a few other parts like head bolts, water pump, slightly used Canton road race oil pan, and HP clutch, I was in it for around $3500 total. Puts out around 515 FW hp and is a handfull on the road.

Bob