View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
Another suggestion if you want speed at moderate cost. I've been watching the Mazda open wheel racers for several years at the SCCA races around here and they are having more fun than anyone on the track. Running sealed Mazda 4 cylinder engines in an open wheel and very light car is a recipe for fun and very tight competition within the class. And if you check their lap times, most Cobras except for possibly Morris's super prepared and expensive Cobra will come close to competing with them. And the best part, you can get into a used one in good condition with many spare parts for around $15-20K to start. Same as the Spec racer Cobras, the parts are off the shelf Mazda parts mostly, calipers, rotors, pads, wheels, engine parts, etc... and are cheap and easy to find and change. This is all information I gleaned in a couple quick afternoons BS'ing with these guys at a couple races.
Are you referring to the Formula Mazda? They are an open wheel with the rotary engine. If so I would give a nod to one of those too. They are a hoot to drive and quite a handful but much more predictable than a Cobra.

Bondurant still teaches using them. I've been to two classes where we had them and I've never had so much fun.

By the way, that also reminds me. You (the OP) should take a racing school course, and I would recommend the Bondurant 4-day class (3 days in Dodges now (used to be Corvettes I mentioned) and the 4th day in the Formula Mazdas).

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 02-24-2018 at 04:58 PM..