View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
A few things I don't like about this system.

The tensioner is on the tight side of the belt.
A manually adjusted belt goes tighter under load on the driven side, so the tensioner bearing goes from "adjusted" load to higher load under boost.
When fitted on the "slack" side of the belt, the tensioner bearing goes from "adjusted" load to slightly less, so longer life.
Hence why factory fitted tensioners are spring loaded on the "slack" side of the belt.

The air filter should be mounted in cool location, certainly not directly above the exhaust system.

Gary
Yes, the tensioner s/b on the 'slack' side of the belt whenever possible, though I do note from looking at the photo the tensioner adjustment mechanism appears to be fairly robust. Still, much better on the slack side, for reasons you've noted.

It s/b fairly easy to relocate the air filter to a better spot with appropriate tubing and long or medium-radius elbows. Tight turns s/b avoided if at all possible. The challenge with most cars, and Cobras in particular, is the limited space and the various obstructions you need to work around or relocate.