View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 09:09 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Hi Cameron,

The advice of attending a meet and seeing/talking with owners sounds likely the greatest approach/benefit of all as a starting point. Also, then having a Cobra knowledgeable person and inspecting mechanic look it over before finalizing would surely only help.

If you aren’t able to do so, or to at least highlight a couple things here for perspective, from my limited perspective, here are some things I’ve noticed in general, in answer to your question about common issues in your posts #6 & #11.

It seems some of the most common issues many Cobra’s seem to have are cooling/overheating issues. That can really limit the ability/flexibility to drive at all. If the requirements where you live dictate more modern engines, and perhaps corresponding cooling systems, maybe not as much of an issue.

Another common issue seems to be tire rub issues. Including hard cornering, bumps, u-turns, wheel offsets, suspension location/design, etc. Can be hard to test all scenarios on test drives, so can also look for signs and review with that in mind, and with someone who knows Cobras.

I believe safety should always be considered as well. When Cobra’s catch on fire it’s often due to faulty electrical wiring issues, fuel line/carb issues or brake line fail issues. You can see how most all Cobras carry fire extinguishers or have fire systems, there’s a reason. So worth verifying condition, design, function, age, materials, quality build in that regard.

Safety can also include whether you want full harness belts, dual roll bars, high back seats to avoid neck snap if hit from rear, etc. In today’s busy traffic and the way people drive, being rear-ended can be a rear safety concern.

Like you, I was after an already built car. Was mainly after a hobby car that would keep me physically and mentally active, as I get older. With no build manual, searching parts/systems/solutions on the Internet has kept me very mentally active for sure! It’s like an ongoing puzzle, very satisfying to learn/overcome and to get control over different areas as I go. Creating my own manual as I go.

So I wanted a solid built car with some core aspects I desired by design, such as large engine, subdued color scheme, manual transmission and independent rear end. Yet one that left opportunity for continual improvement, while the core was still intact, solid, and generally drivable as I go. That’s exactly what I got, and it’s been great for meeting those goals.

If you find a car with a full build manual that takes a lot of the guesswork and puzzle out of it.

Hope it all works out well for you. Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 03-25-2018 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Wording correction