View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Hey Brewjitsu welcome to the madness.

As has been said, you need to know your main end use of the car you want it to perform, understand the features and components you'd like to have on board, and then try and find a car that ticks as many boxes as possible whilst being well engineered that you don't have to undertake too much retro-engineering to meet any current SA requirements.

For example my kit came with rims but not what I ultimately wanted, replacing these was about $4,000 - repainting to your desired colour is anywhere perhaps from $8K northward, interior rebuild is also going to cost thousands, so buying someone else's built is likely going to involve compromise.

Get to club meetings and pick the brains of owners, look at as many cars as you can and take photos to remind yourself of features and research as much as you can before jumping.

I'll take a stab and suggest that re-registration into SA will not likely be as arduous a hurdle as it can be in other States but there can be potential issues and you need to find an approved engineer for SA and bend their ear on likely issues that might cause registration problems.

Do your homework well and this will minimise any potential regret later on with purchase.

At the least you will better understand what you are buying, what you need to do to the car and the potential cost for any upgrades you'd like to make to personify the car more to your tastes.

Good luck with the journey.

Steve